Junior ProgrammerCompany unspecified (job is advertised through an agency)
Our clients pride themselves on being one of the world’s largest video game developers in the industry today. Renowned for their reliable delivery of high quality games, their highly skilled staff put all their creativity and passion into our products using our industry leading technology.
If you have a keen interest in and huge enthusiasm for games tools programming plus a good knowledge of common development technologies and a willingness to work collaboratively with some great creative teams, you should apply now for a Junior Programmer.
Junior programmers must possess a solid grounding in programming skills and exhibit the ability to make good technical judgements coupled with a willingness to learn and develop as a game programmer.
Essential Skills Required
- Technical Skills
• Ability to use the C++ programming language to a competent level, making use of language features to produce understandable and clear implementations.
• Basic grounding in applicable mathematical concepts such as algebra, trigonometry, vector maths, matrix transformations, quaternion rotations and base number representations such as hexadecimal and binary.
• Ability to understand and implement algorithms to specification and make appropriate use of common data containers.
• An understanding of debugging concepts and techniques such as using breakpoints and watches. Ability to interpret the fundamental cause of a crash as described by the debugging tool.
• An appreciation for the importance of testing and an ability to generate tests as directed. Use of best practices and techniques such as unit testing should be employed.
• Able to actively follow the basic principles of producing optimal code.
• Able to adopt and follow company coding standards.
- Planning and Design
• Ability to work to a specification and to add minor extensions to existing architectures.
• To be pro-active in researching new systems, trends and tools.
• To comment code in a descriptive and effective manner.
• Ability to contribute to systems documentation under guidance.
- Industry Knowledge
• Should be familiar with the concept of different hardware platforms, principles and embedded systems.
• Appreciation of common game architectures and the requirements of real-time systems.
• Experience of Visual Studio or similar development environments.
• Familiarity with version control, continuous integration, bug tracking and code review systems.
• Ability to understand and make use of middleware and 3rd party libraries.
- Self-Management and Organisation
• Willingness to work to a brief, adopt working practices and work within the stated boundaries including code style, technical specifications, scheduling and overall spirit of any given project.
- Teamwork and Communication
• Keep managers and any dependent team members informed about the progress of work including any potential problems.
• Ability and willingness to fit into a creative team environment.
- Professional attitude and work ethic
• Ability to accept and work under the technical direction of a project Technical Manager.
• A willingness and ability to work to deadlines
• A willingness and ability to learn is essential, including the ability to accept constructive feedback.
• A consistent professional approach to naming, filing, backing up and archiving of all work in accordance with company and team policy.
• Proficient skills in identifying a need for and sourcing appropriate technical reference material.
In terms of formal qualifications, it is agreed that levels of attainment should not be set. At the Studios they adopt an approach that relevant higher qualifications are ‘preferred’ as opposed to ‘required’. Respective programming skills are paramount and to be considered for this role demonstrable and relevant skills and ability will be expected and sought.
Although the jobholder will be trained on the job, they will be expected to develop their technical skills using their own initiative and in their own time. As well as organised training sessions via the Academy, they encourage staff to broaden their skills further by giving them the opportunity to attend external courses as appropriate.
For more information, please contact Mark Hope at Aardvark Swift on 01709 876877 or Mark@aswift.com
Click here to jump to the original posting