Job Title: Lighting Artist
Location: South East (UK)
Salary: Competitive Day Rate
Job Type: Contract
Project: AAA Games
Platforms: Console & PC
Note: All applicants must be eligible to work in the UK
My client and I are searching for a creative, collaborative and passionate Lighting Artist. You will create atmosphere, add realism, tone, depth and emphasise drama or narrative. You will establish and clarify location, weather, time of day, etc. You will execute your work by leveraging your technical knowledge as well as your strong sense of aesthetics to create lighting in environments that meet the expectations of the art director and run within budget of the game engine.
- Deep understanding of CG lighting technology, both real-time and software rendering.
- Strong sense of lighting theory; colour space, exposure, light fixtures, natural light, reflections etc.
- Good understanding of cinematography and dramaturgy; the use of camera technology, scene blocking and lighting to set the mood.
- Good understanding and experience with physical based lighting system
- Being pro-active in the use of lighting as a powerful tool in gameplay clarity. For example; to guide the player forward, highlight objectives and enemies.
- An ability to thoroughly digest the art direction and be a champion for executing it in the game.
- Used to working with the balancing between visual quality and performance requirements
- Thorough knowledge of the game development process desirable
- Experience in Unreal or Unity beneficial
- Working knowledge of Maya, and/or other commercial 3D authoring packages.
- Creating both the exterior and interior lighting within the levels and cut scenes.
- Placing and tweaking of light sources within the environment.
- Creation of sky dome and cloud textures.
- Tuning of shading materials and textures to improve the perception of the lighting.
- Post processing; color grading, exposure, SSAO, bloom, tone mapping curves etc.
- Contributing to the development and placing of special effects related to lighting an atmosphere. Such as; light flares, fog, god rays and camera optics.
- Prototyping the use of lighting technology to reach the visual targets defined by the art direction.
- Collaborate with the Technical Art and Engineering teams to develop tools and pipelines.
If this sounds like your next role, then email your CV along with a link to your portfolio to email@example.com
Claire Ramshaw | Senior Art Consultant
OPM Response Ltd
Direct Line: + 44 (0) 1206 214413 |
Email: Claire@opmjobs.com |
Salary and benefits will be discussed at interview with the company and are individually negotiated by OPM.