Network / Online Programmer to join this Guildford studio working on one of the most recognisable AAA titles of its genre.
The gig -
- Demonstrable software engineering experience in the games industry
- Experience shipping an online AAA game working directly within online systems such as Matchmaking, Invites, VOIP, servers and core gaming network topologies
- Good knowledge of 1st Party requirements particularly in the online domain
- Excellent C++ architecting and engineering skills
- Willingness and openness to learn new skills and ramp up quickly
- Experience with Sony and Microsoft online system (Invites, Voip, Online Store)
- Understanding of client/server architectures
- Able to communicate with technical and non-technical team members
- Able to own features and put together technical designs and software estimates
- Experience of scalable distributed systems, including performance & storage considerations
- Low-level networking knowledge
- Self-motivated with a strong sense of quality
- Strong language skills – excellent spoken and written English
- Good understanding of databases and efficient data storage
- Familiar with python, ruby, perl or similar scripting languages
- Comfortable working with Unix type systems
- Experience of MySQL
This bit is you –
You’ll know about the different network topologies used in gaming, be able to write intelligent and efficient systems to handle limited bandwidth and poor network conditions, have architecture skills, understand the available network protocols used for communication, be capable of writing secure code, and have a good understanding of client server architecture, server applications and database management.
You should also have great knowledge of 1st Party Online systems as well as 1st Party requirements for both Microsoft and Sony and understand what’s needed to integrate these systems and requirements into a AAA game. Even though this role is in the online domain, the successful engineer must understand and be able to contribute to other areas of the game including Front End and gameplay systems.